cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can an £80 Moto E be faster than a £480 Samsung S5?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never been happy with the S5, preiously I had a Moto G and thought I was imagining the speed but the below just confirms what I thought.  How does this happen?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
This happens due to everything being bigger on the s5.
Even the most menial task of unlocking is the difference between rendering 518,400 pixels vs 2,073,600 and then the hd overlays on top.
Same with camera, the information fetch for the higher spec camera will take that little bit longer when dealing with higher mp then rerender on the full HD screen.
Bottom line is, on any 2D app that requires hardly any processing, a low resolution phone will be faster than I high resolution phone as the snapdragon inside the e is no slouch for such tasks and could keep up no proble. Add a bit of processing needs and you'll soon start to see the high spec phones run away, even on basic photo editing, you'll see the s5 render the filters and edits much quicker than the e.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Different internal chips and other internal hardware plus what a user downloads to fill up the internal memory can cause slower speeds.
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

well it means that just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better quality...Iphone's are a good example of that LOL (sorry couldn't resist...)

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ouch ! 😞

Each iPhone variant has been released with a new A Chip improving imo the specs / output on the previous version the same im sure happens on other makes and models.

Some would suggest the amount of RAM plays a part too.

Message 4 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Even the most menial task of unlocking is the difference between rendering 518,400 pixels vs 2,073,600 and then the hd overlays on top.
Same with camera, the information fetch for the higher spec camera will take that little bit longer when dealing with higher mp then rerender on the full HD screen.
Bottom line is, on any 2D app that requires hardly any processing, a low resolution phone will be faster than I high resolution phone as the snapdragon inside the e is no slouch for such tasks and could keep up no proble. Add a bit of processing needs and you'll soon start to see the high spec phones run away, even on basic photo editing, you'll see the s5 render the filters and edits much quicker than the e.
Message 5 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And bit funny how that moto e had no pics in the gallery, considering the actual loading of the gallery contains a preload of thumbnails, does make me wonder if a similar sized collection on both would result in same results.
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122798 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Wow....of course it does @viridis  Bouncy

Please be advised I understood none of the above but my brain is slowly processing it LOL

I stand in awe....Hero

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Exactly as viridis says - Try running something like Minecraft (or other memory intensive game) side by side and you'll see the difference then.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122798 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Exactly as viridis says - Try running something like Minecraft (or other memory intensive game) side by side and you'll see the difference then.

Now that I understand....would this be the same sort of thing for Call Of Duty as well?... @MI5  or @viridis 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes cleo, both will load to the menu pretty quick. And a lower spec cpu could even beat the highest rate cpu. But once you click start, that lower spec cpu will start to fart and stutter it's way to a very poor quality gameplay.
Message 10 of 15