cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I block incoming premium service text messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way I can block unwanted incoming premium service text messages. I am being charged for incoming text messages which I have no control over.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
and a community help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions
Message 2 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
and a community help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The general rule of thumb is to send a text back with the word STOP in capitals. That should do it
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The general rule of thumb is to send a text back with the word STOP in capitals. That should do it

@Anonymous 

Is their any truth in that some say if a person responds with 'STOP' this then let's more unscrupulous companies know they've managed to connect to a live number and pursue sending such texts.

Now we have phones with blocking facilities it should be possible nowadays to use that to block. 

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Many of us have read about whether sending "STOP" works.

Where someone receives texts that they never asked for (which is what I think your question is aimed at - then there may be some mileage in such a suggestion but I don't know for sure.

In this type of case however, at some point the OP must have given their number and signed up for such service so in this case the texts are not unsolicited (if I have read it right).

By law sending STOP is a requirement but of course those sending these texts illegally may not have this in place. But then they would also know without offering if they would almost certainly get banned (after they have made a few quid of course)
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you @Anonymous for the explanation.

I've been fortunate to be targeted only once by this situation, and this resulted in me changing my mobile number with O2 ,and as it was the first time it was free.

Not a guarantee I won't be again but it certainly stopped the issue.
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also add @Anonymous that where the OP is receiving texts for which he / she is being charged, blocking them would stop them coming to the phone yes but would not stop the charges.

The charge would be initiated when the sender sends the text. Whether it is received is almost irrelevant. Think back before we had free texts, if you sent a text to someone who had changed their number and not told you, even though they didn't get the text you were still charged.

Tis the same principle.
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
A very valid point @Anonymous

So would changing Mobile Number cease the charges ?
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is a good question @Anonymous

In theory changing your number via o2 so that the existing number is disconnected and o2 move the OP top a new number keeping the same account should stop the charges as there is no number to bill it to. That would be my understanding unless the rules have changed (think like the new changing bank account rules).

Message 10 of 20