cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HTC One] Slow text all around

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past 24-48 hours i have noticed that if i access the text messages on my HTC One, the phone becomes incredibly slow and unresponsive.

I can open up the main text window, but if i open up any text conversations it takes about 10 seconds to load up the conversation.

After this, there also seems to be even more unresponsiveness in replying to a text message - If i write out the characters they don't show for a couple of seconds.

Coincidentally this seems to have started when i noticed my phone downloaded something in the background, i am sure it said "HTC Service Pack" however i am not 100% - I deleted the notification without looking into it, as i didn't think anything of it. 

I can see there has been talk of a new Android release, but i seem to still be on JellyBean at the moment, so i don't understand what has happened for my texts to be affected??

*Edit* I have reset the phone numerous times as well as turned it off entirely, though there is no way to remove the battery* 

HTC One

Firmware 4.4.3

HTC Sense 6.0

Software 6.14.206.2

HTC SDK API 6.25

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think i have found what the issue was, and i got sidetracked by seeing a HTC update at the same time which caused me to consider that!

Turns out it was the contact(s) specifically on the text messages, i tried to see if i should delete some messages when it turned out i had just short of 10,000 texts accrued over the past 3 years which hadn't been deleted, and i guess the breaking point occured yesterday! Was fine up until then though.

The 10,000 were sent/received total, but it seems to be back to being smooth running now.

But as FYI - nope, haven't received this new update yet, no rush for that mind.

Taa!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try turning the phone off , battery pull if applicable , and turn back on.

I find this soft resets the phone.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh forgot to mention, i have tried several resets as well as powering the phone down entirely - Battery cannot be removed though unfortunately.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You should be on 4.4.4 by now I would have thought - Have you checked for any software updates?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem.

Just thought I'd mention a soft reset as you had not mentioned it originally in your post.

I sometimes find a phone can also lag if the internal memory is getting full so deleting from there or moving to a SD Card (if applicable) can help.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think i have found what the issue was, and i got sidetracked by seeing a HTC update at the same time which caused me to consider that!

Turns out it was the contact(s) specifically on the text messages, i tried to see if i should delete some messages when it turned out i had just short of 10,000 texts accrued over the past 3 years which hadn't been deleted, and i guess the breaking point occured yesterday! Was fine up until then though.

The 10,000 were sent/received total, but it seems to be back to being smooth running now.

But as FYI - nope, haven't received this new update yet, no rush for that mind.

Taa!

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
10,000 texts !!!!
Little wonder it was slow wink
If you want to keep every text backup up use SMS Backup+ from Play store and it will auto save to your gmail account.
You can then set your phone to delete automatically when you get to 100 texts on a thread which should keep everything under control in the future.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7