cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One Signal/Reception problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I upgraded from iPhone 4 to HTC One a month or so ago and have noticed I seem to have issues with the signal strength. Where my iPhone used to get brilliant signal my HTC One either has poor or none. I spoke to someone in the O2 chat who talked me through doing a network reset and the signal was fine (at home). Where I work 3G is available and my iPhone got great signal. It now usually says I have H for internet signal and 3 bars for mobile reception, however when onthe internet it is either very slow at loading pages or doesn't load them at all and regularly drops of completely. Has anyone else noticed this and if so how does it get fixed? Thanks for your help. Helen
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Have you checked to see if there are any problems in your area? http://status.o2.co.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You could try cleaning the simcard and make sure there are no local issues using your postcode @ O2 Status

H is a better signal than 3G.

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The signal in our area is fine.

The problem is that it either has no signal or it says I have H or G but the internet won't load or is very slow. It very rarely has 3G and when it does it flashes up for a few seconds then goes back to either H or G. It's worse where I work but the O2 site says coverage is better there than where i live. Also the phone signal is often poor (when my other half has full signal bars I have 1 or 2).

I will try cleaning the Sim Card and see if that works.

Thanks for your ideas.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

H is a better signal than 3G.

Is it? I thought 3G was meant to be the super-duper bit?

My colleague who sits opposite me has an Iphone 5 (also on 02), and whereas his phone almost permanantly says he's on 3G, mine says H most of the time, and flicks in and out of 3G (much to his delight - damn apple owners :smileywink:)

If H is better than 3G, bragging rights may be swinging back towards Android!

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes H or on some phones H + is better/ faster than 3g. Also on the signal bar levels: My HTC Onex+ tends to sit at one or two bars most of the time but when I receive or make a call it shoots up to full if in a good signal area. Am I imagining this or could it be an HTC power saving mode or something?
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Maybe it would be worth getting your phone checked out either by the manufacturer {1st choice} or by 02.

This is how I understand the different icons in the status bar.

• G stands for GPRS and is the slowest standard, used is the GSM network (2G).
  • E is an extension of GPRS, it is called EDG and it is correspondingly a little faster, but still uses the old GSM network (2G).
  • 3G stands for UMTS and is the successor to the GSM network and faster.
  • H and H+ are standing for HSPA and HSPA+. Both use the UMTS network, where H is faster than 3G and H+ is faster than H.
  • 4G stands for LTE and is the fastest.
Message 7 of 16

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

iPhones don't have the icon for H or H+, they are limited to GPRS (the small dot), EDGE shows as an 'E' and 3G, H and H+ all shown as "3G"

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhoneChanger wrote:

iPhones don't have the icon for H or H+, they are limited to GPRS (the small dot), EDGE shows as an 'E' and 3G, H and H+ all shown as "3G"

That's bizarre! Why wouldn't they have the correct icons available?

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good question.

I believe due to the confusion and wants of the network Apple stick to e, 0 ,3G, 4G / Lte.

The iPhone 5 has the capability and when used on ee it would show as 4G.

Specs of the iPhone 5.

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5)
Message 10 of 16