cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire X Low Storage Warning Constantly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I have a Desire X and I constantly have the low storage warning coming up. The only apps that are actually installed on the phone are the bloatware that comes with the phone that I never use. I can't move them to the sd card (I don't think).

When I go to view storage it shows the following:

App Storage 2.81GB / 2.91GB

Phone Storage 4.52MB / 1.09GB

SD Card 23.24GB / 29.71GB

All my apps that I can move are on the SD Card. I can't uninstall the preset ones and the auto upgrade whenever I reset them to factory.

Any ideas on what I can do? I really don't want to root my phone.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You need to go into application manager and clear the cache for all of the apps stored on the phone itself.
Data relating to the apps will be using your storage space and as you can see you only have 100mb free.
I'm not sure what version of android your are running (pre JB I assume) but you may also find that a factory reset will be required unless you have the option to format the internal SD which will reset everything back to factory state.
Make sure any backups are taken of anything important to you before doing this as the phone will be wiped.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You need to go into application manager and clear the cache for all of the apps stored on the phone itself.
Data relating to the apps will be using your storage space and as you can see you only have 100mb free.
I'm not sure what version of android your are running (pre JB I assume) but you may also find that a factory reset will be required unless you have the option to format the internal SD which will reset everything back to factory state.
Make sure any backups are taken of anything important to you before doing this as the phone will be wiped.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It could be the data that the apps themselves collate.

You can delete this accrued data or delete the app and re install.

Unfortunately the available internal memory in your model is low and you can come across this.

Generally apps on your model can not be moved from the phone to sd card.
Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It could be the data that the apps themselves collate.

You can delete this accrued data or delete the app and re install.

FYI bob, the OP states they are system apps which cannot be deleted.

Android gives you the option to clear data from within app manager as pointed out above.

Any shadow copies or latent files/folders as a result of previously uninstalled apps can only be deleted by reformatting the drive......

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Noted. wink
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I have tried clearing caches for everything and it works for a couple of days, and also tried turning off auto-updating, but that only works for the apps I install. I can't stop the new apps updating themselves which is when I run out of space.

<rant>

It's really annoying as there's about 1GB of free space on the phone that the apps can use. It's a bit of crappy system design that you can't resize the allocated space for the apps, and I guess 02 or HTC or whoever decides to put these apps don't really think about it when they're cashing the cheques from the app authors.

</rant>

I was a bit concerned about the low storage of the handset when I bought it, but when I did there was only 1 or 2 'system' apps like TuneIn Radio and Amazon MP3 that I couldn't get rid of. Now there is more like 10, and the main culprit seems to be SoundHound, which I don't think I've ever even opened!

Have done a factory reset, will see how it goes and accept that as the answer if it works for more that a week!

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

We have come across so many people in the situation you are which ultimately boils down to low internal memory in the phone.

Why manufacturers release phones that allow app downloads with low internal memory is beyond me. 😞

Even with a factory reset it will creep up again. 😞

I recently talked my daughter out of buying an iPhone with 8Gb of internal memory as when the iOS firmware uses the memory your left with approx 6Gb which can soon be used up with Apps alone.
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have marked solution.

To give a bit more detail, I did a factory reset and left any themes as they were and only installed what I really needed. I guess I am like everyone and tried out loads of apps when I first got the phone, and I think they must have left some traces of junk behind. Maybe not much, but enough to accrue into just enough to trigger the storage warning.

So, if you are having issues, factory reset and start again! I have everything backed up in my gmail account so all contacts and stuff came back really quickly.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear.

Thank you for your update.

wink
Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It's a good idea to do a reset from time to time and esp after a firmware update to ensure all old temp files and cached files are cleared out - A bit like spring cleaning your home....
Glad you're sorted and thanks for updating us.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18