Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

Well HTC have announced their new flagship, as expected the main selling point is a OIS front facing camera.

It does address some of the shortcomings from the previous iterations such as better battery, better rear camera, and more but I feel it is all too little too late to save HTC. They needed to do something big and bold to make people look up, and I feel this phone just won't deliver.

Plus with the price point expected to be that of the S7 it's a tall ask.

Message 1 of 503
502 REPLIES 502

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Simon241 wrote:

Hi all,

I am back to pick up where I left off and have had ample time with my HTC 10 and will answer any questions about it if tehre are any and I will get round to attempting to write a review that will hopefully help any others who are looking at getting a new phone.

slight_smile

Cant wait to read your review @Simon241! What features have impressed you the most so far?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 461 of 503

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

HTC 10 currently reduced to £469.99 until 18th August 2016

http://www.htc.com/uk/go/buy-htc-10/?utm_source=htc&utm_medium=htccom&utm_term=summer100&utm_content...

£100 saving

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 462 of 503

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Yes wait a couple of months after any flagship release and you can save £100 once the launch rush to buy has slowed a little.

Message 463 of 503

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Great price for the 10 👌

Look forward to your review @Simon241. I did try to write a mini one but it wasn't that good , so gave up.. Will take inspiration from yours lol. Loving my phone so far, although you can't buy a decent case here.. Had 2 from Hong Kong lol x

giphy-3
Message 464 of 503

Simon241
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I know it has been some while and I have not done my review and digging up an old thread.

I may just dig out someone else's review and air my opinion if I agree or disagree and my personal findings.

After a long while with the HTC 10 I think I pretty have it figured out slight_smile

Well apart from the adaptable storage Crazy

Or maybe I should just take questions?

Yes I generally like the phone but there are some disappointments.

As much as I like HTC I will be honest in my opinion.

Can only hope that HTC will have it fixed for their Nexus/Pixel phones.

Message 465 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I won't bore people with build quality etc as many reviews have all that and specs.

People want to know what that it functions well etc.

As much as the ribbed power button is a nice touch, sensible people would protect their £500+ investment in a case.

I would of preferred power button and volume buttons to have either a noticeable gap between them or on either side of the phone.

Display/Screen

Clear and bright.

Although when turning the brightness down there is a noticeable pink tinge.

Plus when using the power saving mode it puts you straight into pink tinge mode which you have to switch off in bright sunlight to view the screen at full brightness.

With the phone just in regular mode, you will never get a full day out of it as you struggle in battery saving mode to get a day.

Compared to many others I would be considered a light user.

Sound/Speakers

This was the main thing for me and possibly many others.

And anyone wanting a phone with volume, look elsewhere as the HTC 10 rates poorly in that department.

I was so disappointed.

Yes the speakers are clear and great quality but lacking in the volume/power department.

Anyone going from previous HTC stereo speaker phones will also be disappointed I would expect.

Plus the way it separates sounds can make some music sound weird as I noticed on various tracks.

As for the onboard super duper DAC, I was underwhelmed as I could not tell any difference using audio quality headphones and earphones between HTC M8, HTC 10 and a Sansa Clip listening to FLAC and MP3 files.

Message 466 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Camera

I have had some great results with the camera and and video.

Standard video microphone picks up sound very clearly and well,

even when using slow motion it picks up great sound.

But why have a lower standard slow motion than the competitors HTC?

At least have the same.

Jumping back to camera, focus can lag at times and the quick start from lock screen is not quick.

Focus and video. It was noticed on a close up video that the focus kept searching would be my description and this gave the video a pulse effect which ruined what was filmed.

Optical image stabilisation works well keeping things smooth.

Selfie cam works well at times and others can be over exposed, imagine in a room with light coloured walls. Your colour ends up washed out with the walls.Surprised

Message 467 of 503

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122910 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Simon241. So I will ask just one question. Now that you own it and have used it....would you buy it again if you were given the choice of that or another phone? wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 468 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fingerprint scanner

No problems with this other than if I have just washed my hands and fingers still damp.

I personally prefer the fixed home and back button and never liked the on screen ones as they appeared when you did not want them to and would not come up when you did want them to.

I also like the stripped down android feel. Although I miss HTC gallery.

Also with all these phones having some sort of power saving feature you'd think there'd be a widget so you could have it on your home screen instead of having to scroll through settings?

The phone charges incredibly quick and does get warm.

It also gets warm during some mundane operations and even when it is locked.

Message 469 of 503

Simon241
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That is the million dollar question Crazy

As per the thread I would not get an iPhone and would have to be an Android.

I'd struggle to say that I would not be tempted by the S7.

But saying that, in my review I was being totally honest in my findings and opinions and regardless of anything that may of sounded negative I just really like how everything is just a great all round package, as well as looking and feeling like a great piece of engineering. (I'm of an age that appreciates things like that 🙂 that is why my phone is in a case lol)

My expectations were higher than what I got.

(Has happened before lol)

The S7 has the camera and water resistance edge over the HTC 10.

But I'm sure given the same length of time with a Samsung S7 I'd find things I was not happy with there too.

Message 470 of 503