cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google offline maps on Galaxy S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am planning to travel to Asia and do not want to incur data charges whilst using the Google maps applicatioin on the device. Can i view and use Google maps offline to locate my position? What other offline functions could i use eg navigation?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would need to plan your route on wifi then just use phone on GPS (with data turned off).
Google maps requires data to download any maps it needs as your route progresses.
Another option is Co-Pilot which stores all maps to an SD card so you can just use GPS when travelling without the need for a data signal at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Their are a few options on google play that allow the pre downloading of maps so data is not required.

Co pilot is one.

Another https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

This may be of interest http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/I-m-always-running-out-of-data/td-p/649517/highl...
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would need to plan your route on wifi then just use phone on GPS (with data turned off).
Google maps requires data to download any maps it needs as your route progresses.
Another option is Co-Pilot which stores all maps to an SD card so you can just use GPS when travelling without the need for a data signal at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Depends where you are travelling to in Asia as many apps don't cover a lot of Asia

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I've used co pilot it's a great app before I use to use up all my data but since u guys told me about it I've been saving aloe slight_smile
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alot*
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous you can click on "Options" above your post and edit your reply (if on PC or in desktop mode).

Just thought I'd mention it as you double post a lot just for small corrections or additions to your posts..... slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
How does Navigator compare to Google Maps jonsie?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 9