cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S7 arrived with broken seal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firs of all I'm a new customer to 02 and I opened up an account with a Galaxy S7

The first one arrived a couple of days ago by UK mail, fully sealed, however the device was defective (screen uniformity was uneven, yellow display) so I called up 02 returns and they were happy to send me a new device

Today I got the new device, however the seal on my S7 box was broken and when I took the phone out of the back and looked at the back of it, the back of the phone was marked like it had already been used

I called 02 returns up again and explained the situation to them and they're going to send me another device however they couldn't tell me why the seal had been broken

I'm thinking that maybe 02 are reselling returned phones, has this happened to any one else

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As said, there have been quite a few reports but I don't believe anyone knows why - just keep getting replacements until you get one you are happy with.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like they've possibly sent you a refurb model. If your still within the cooling off period then you can ask for a brand new handset I think. 

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Asked yesterday if it was going to be a brand new device and I was told yes also told the same today

Message 3 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to the forums! 

There were a few reports of broken seals around the release of the S7 which were suspected to have occurred in transit. That said if your unhappy you should arrange for a replacement device. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Who did you speak to? Was it live chat or did you call customer service?

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As said, there have been quite a few reports but I don't believe anyone knows why - just keep getting replacements until you get one you are happy with.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to customer services on the phone, the returns department

Message 7 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous You're entitled to a brand new phone. Intact, with no seals broken. Do not settle for anything less.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 16

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

There are quite a few unsealed S7's floating about. We occasionally get some in store stock, but they're delivered in totes sealed by O2 with a clear chain of custody, so there's nothing concerning about that. In all probability, a batch of them was likely opened at some point to check the contents, maybe to confirm model numbers or to make sure chargers were included. 

It doesn't affect your warranty and I doubt the handsets were even turned on. You definitely wouldn't be provided with a refurbished model unless you specifically ordered one or were receiving an insurance claim. That being said, customer services should exchange it for you if you still have concerns.

Hope this helps

Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Personally I would never accept a phone if the seal was broken. There is never a need for anyone to open a box to check for anything as far as I am aware. We are advised 'Do not accept if seal broken'. That says it all

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16