Did you mean: 

Galaxy S6 - cannot forget O2 free wireless networks

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there

Very irritating, I can't tell my S6 to forget O2 free wireless connections.
Normally you long press on a connection and have the option to forget it, but not O2 WiFi. I tried deleting my phones profile in the O2 wireless app, but all that does is constantly redirect me to a registration page.
I don't want my phone constantly trying to join useless O2 WiFi hotspots a I'm walking around London. I have a 20gb contact and it's just irritating, causing unloaded pages and breaks in streaming media.

Please somebody tel me how to remove it! And don't say "just turn off wireless" because I need to connect to others.
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Personally I think wifi extra should have an opt out option.

Why do you say that, it's no different to any other wi-fi network other than it's secure?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 21 of 35

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Because from experience, some of these hotspots have dire speeds and connections.
The option to disconnect temporarily or even permanently from a forced poor wifi connection should be the choice of the user, at the moment, as I said before, that choice is only available via wifi off.
Message 22 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Part of the marketing for WiFi extra states that it will only connect if the WiFi speed would be greater than the available mobile data connection speed, so in theory at least, you shouldn't be connected to a poor WiFi hotspot in preference to better mobile data speeds.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 35

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Perhaps a feature in Android should be brought into allow the user to be able to choose.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 24 of 35

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Perksie, other wireless connections can be forgotten. O2 cannot - it forces you to connect like it or not.
I've just realised there is a solution though - install the non branded version of lollipop.
Message 25 of 35

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5

Well, that I dont know because my phone still uses smart switching whilst connected.  Also, doesnt really matter in some respects when you are walking past somewhere, as the connection will join and drop within 60 seconds, just disrupting your connection.

Why won't O2 let us choose instead of forcing us to be connected to it?  What berk made that ropey decision I wonder?  If it can't get sorted, I'll just remove the O2 version of lollipop and put on the non-carrier UK version.

Message 26 of 35

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's more likely connected to the o2 wifi app rather than the ROM.
Have you tried to see if you can just delete the app?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 35

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Robsa wrote:
Perksie, other wireless connections can be forgotten. O2 cannot - it forces you to connect like it or not.
I've just realised there is a solution though - install the non branded version of lollipop.

I don't think it makes any difference and will connect to a "forgotten" network when it's in range.

Message 28 of 35

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
MI5 - I suspect it's in the rom. Removing the O2 WiFi app merely redirects you to a web sign in. You cannot browse until you have registered and logged in.

Perksie - normally, if you connect to a wireless access point and then decide you don't want to connect to it any more you long press it and choose "forget". The phone will then no longer attempt to connect to it unless you tell it to.
O2 wireless has no such option, it's been removed from the menu.
I strongly suspect that this is deliberate, for whatever reason. This means you always connect to any O2 wireless point you come across whether you want to or not.
The way it should work is that you can choose not to.

Regards, Rob
Message 29 of 35

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So you reckon o2 have added this when testing the software before sending it back to Samsung for general release to o2 branded phones? It will be interesting to see if anyone else has the problem. Any way of finding out about this @Toby ?

Message 30 of 35