cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 Wi-fi keeps dropping out

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for almost a year now and I love it but recently my wifi has been playing up.

It constantly drops out of wifi onto mobile data then back into wifi. It doesnt matter if im on an app or on the internet, at home or in the office. Its constant.

Even writing this it has dropped in and out 10 times.

Please help
Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Ok...One thing to try (credit to @MI5 ) Is to untick the Smart network switch in the Wifi settings menu.

If this works.. then fine...if not, then you will have to wait for MI5 himself  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried forgetting the wifi network in your phones settings.

Sometimes turning the phone off, battery pull ( handset model dependant ) and turn back on can help to reset the phone.

Try re setting your router or changing wifi wireless channel.

As it happens at home and work then I would first ensure I was on the latest firmware and if no joy then approach Samsung Uk Support , http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html , to have their input and possible diagnostic run on it.

We have not heard great stories of O2 repair services which is why I suggest using Samsung.

Perhaps other members here can suggest some further generic self help tIps too.

Edit : spelling. 😔
Message 2 of 25

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
There's a software fault on the s5 where wi-fi gets affected. Make sure you are running the latest version and updates.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I have just been on the Android Central forum to look at this problem. 

One thing that hasn't been suggested is when Wifi drops out... turn flight mode on and off. This seems to reset the connection.

I am not saying it will work, but it certainly seemed to correct the issue for some wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

MarkPainter
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Mine has just started doing the same.
I have had the phone for nearly a year, and it has always worked 100% fine, but since the software update this week it is contstantly dopping the wi-fi signal.

I though at first it was my router, but my wife's S3 remains rock solidly connected.

It has only happened since the software update.
Does anyone know if it is possible to go back to the previous verison of Android?

Additional:
Just looked at my mobile data usage and it jumped by approximately ten times on the day of the upgrade and has remeind that high since. At the rate I will use all my data allowance in 9 days.

Message 5 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll tag in @MI5 who knows his stuff with android. I'm sure he will be able to help @MarkPainter
Message 6 of 25

MarkPainter
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I appreciate that. WIll pop into the local O2 shop today as well to see what they have to say.
Message 7 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @MarkPainter  @MI5  is your man for this... though he wont be on the forum till later this morning.

I can answer one part of your question though. No you wont be able to go back to the previous version of Android. (I know this because I asked him the same question) I didn't actually have a problem but wanted to know this as a just in case scenario wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
An in store O2 Guru may be able to expand more yes.

Would you let us know the outcome please.
Message 9 of 25

MarkPainter
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Frustratingly my daughter was an o2 Guru until two months ago when she left for maternity leave.
Message 10 of 25