cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 - Locked out after reset

Anonymous
Not applicable

I factory reset my S5 using the recovery menu to try and fix battery drain issues after upgrading to Marshmallow, however after reset it asked me to enter my Samsung account details due to "Abnormal factory reset" to prove I was the device owner.

After entering the correct details, it then gives me the message "Processing failed" and won't continue.

My account details are definitely correct (changing the password by one character gives a different message), and I've never logged into the phone using any other Samsung account. I've had the phone since new.

Is there any way to regain entry? I can log into the Samsung portal on my computer.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Yes there is. As long as you flashh the same or newer ROM, your warranty will be fine.

To clarify, newer than the original one that came with the phone?

Should I use Odin for this, or can I use Smart Switch?

Message 11 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If firmware recovery will work in smartswitch you can do it that way, but if not it must be Odin.
Newer means newer than the currently installed ROM, ie, not downgrading the firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah - I was wondering whether to go back to the previous firmware when the device lock was set to see if it'll unlock then. I'm guessing this will increase the Knox counter?

Message 13 of 21

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, if you try and go backwards, knox will be tripped.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all your help and advice @MI5.

@Cleoriff too.

I just found out that the warranty was only 12 months, so I probably don't have that to worry about anymore.
Message 15 of 21

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Was it a refurbished phone then?
Samsung give 2 years on new devices.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, new.

I thought that too, however it is a work phone and our office manager informs me that there were only 12 months of warranty provided.

Message 17 of 21

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Never heard of that before.
I'd still check with Samsung first before flashing it though.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

You were right, it was 24 months.

Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good news - so hopefully they are sorting it for you?

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21