cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 - slow or no data coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my GS4 since March 2014, on a 5Gb per-month contract. However I very rarely have any kind of useful mobile data connection. The Network Coverage checker states I should have good 3G coverage both indoors and outdoors in my postcode, however the best I've ever seen is H+. If I go into the city centre, it drops to G or E band and often cuts out completely. If I travel (train from Devon to London, mini bus from Weymouth to Reading, Reading to Newcastle, driving from Devon to Bristol and attempting to use Google maps for sat nav) I more often than not have no data at all. It can take over an hour to load my Facebook feed (or just not at all), and after loading a Google maps route at home, I'll then lose all data en-route and not be able to use the service to get me anywhere. I raised this issue via the chat service a month or two ago but was abroad at the time, and was told I would need to discuss it when I was at home. I'm trying to resolve it today, but the chat service is "busy". At the moment I'm paying for a data service that I'm not really getting the use of. (I have seen 4G on the phone twice, once at Heathrow and once in a 2ft square box in a building in Reading. I know the data on the phone is activated and is working, I'm just not getting the coverage from the network)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally i would keep 4G (LTE) turned off as this should boost the 3G and H+ signal you recieve.

I have the same issue and since disabling 4G, my calls dont cut out, i get fast (ish) data most places and the battery lasts longer!

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
H+ is actually better than 3g but the whole of the O2 3g spectrum is oversubscribed and congested,
They are rolling out a series of network improvements (fibre backhaul and 4g etc) which should fix the issues and the target for completion is end of 2017.
No consolation to you now though unfortunately.
It's pretty much the same for everyone so it's a choice of hang on until your area is upgraded or move to another supplier in the interim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Another case it seems of jumping into a contract before giving the network a try on a payg sim. It's of no use to you now this info as you're already on a contract.

Are you per chance on a refresh contract? Where you can pay off your device plan and cancel the airtime part? That would free you up to find a network that actually works for you.

Other than that, turning off 4g as suggested above is the only other option if have thought.

Sorry you're in this position, and hope you manage to sort it somehow.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Turning off 4g won't fix the 3g network congestion.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Turning off 4g won't fix the 3g network congestion.

That's right and as you said earlier only when the area is upgraded will the OP see an improvement. O2 are a victim of their own previous success. Over subscribed and slow roll out of upgrades mean far too many unhappy customers 

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I'm holding onto my tariff because it's a great deal for me but I tend yo use my Three sim more in the UK and my o2 number over Tugo.
Ironically, in France, the o2 sim gave a full 3g signal everywhere and data wasn't an issue either.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
UK is the worst country all over Europe tbh.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9