O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Android Devices (Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc.)

Level 2: Apprentice
kevvyb

Galaxy S2, not registering on network

I have posted a new thread as the others I have found with similar issues are from April.

I don't seem to be the only one with an issue with poor signal strength, no registration on network even on 2 bars signal with the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Can anyone at O2 tell us what the problem is? Do they care?

I move between a good signal area (London) and and area of Suffolk with a particularly poor signal in certain places. In the poor signal area even when I get 2 bars more recently the phone refuses to register on network. In same location taking out SIM and putting it in my old Nokia, the Nokia registers immediately with full signal.

In various places where an iphone on O2 network is sitting right by my S2, the iPhone has 5 bars and can make and receive calls, my S2 has two bars and will not register!

What is wrong with the S2 or O2's firmware...? Is there a solution?

NB In the particularly poor signal area the phone has always struggled to get a signal as does the iPhone but previously when I did get a weak signa,l it always registered on network and I could m ake calls. The not registering on the network thing kicked in someitme in the last few months. Can't say exactly when but I think this may point to an update as the culprit...?

Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 189
Solutions: 2,634

Re: Galaxy S2, not registering on network

As advised elsewhere, your only hope with O2 is the 4.04 rollout.... whenever that may be. O2 don't (rarely) respond directly on here, just other customers, so my previous advice still stands as to determine if a network or phone fault....
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.
Please use plain text.
kevvyb

Hi thanks. Could you link to the post in which you give that previous advice...? I think I've found it.

Plan is to wait until end this month for 4.04 update.
If that doesn't happen or work then I will use the unlock code O2 have sent me.

Other than what I have already done, what else do I need to try to determine if it's network or phone fault?
Please use plain text.
MI5

On t'other forum http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/9486-telephone-signal-issues
If you don't get an improvement with 4.04, I'd flash the open XEU FW. If that doesn't help then phone needs to go back to Sammy to be looked at - Might be an antenna fault....
Please use plain text.
kevvyb

HI again.  Thanks.  Didn't realise you were same person as on other forum...

Where can I get XEU FW?  I have looked on sammobile.com and can't find the open fw....

Please use plain text.
MI5

goto sammobile and click on the "Firmware" tab. Top right you will see a search box. Type in "I9100XEU" and it will be top of the list.
Please use plain text.
kevvyb

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks. Did that. Click on download and nothing happens......should I be using one of the other options?

Please use plain text.
kevvyb

it just takes me back tot his page

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/#

Please use plain text.
MI5

Have you registered on the website? I just tried to download the file and it works OK.
Please use plain text.
kevvyb

Thanks. I thought I was logged in but obviously not. Got it now. Hell it's a huge file.
Please use plain text.