cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Ace overheating and stuck on Emergency calls only

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope someone can help with this. I've checked the stickies but found no obvious solution.

My three year old Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) running Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on the o2 network has recently become stuck in Emergency calls only mode. The issue is intermittent and i can sometimes get a connection, but for the most part it's unable to make calls or send texts. The phone is also overheating (45 degree centigrade) and burns through a battery at full charge in the space of an hour (with a battery flow of -2993mA (-299.30%/h)

Initially i noticed the overheating more than the absence of a proper connection.

Wireless, Bluetooth, mobile data (3G and 2G), GPS and auto-rotation are all turned off. No background apps are running (I've now uninstalled everything that isn't a stock app with the exception of the battery monitor app which was installed after the problem started). When the issue is occurring there are no active applications running in the task manager.

The battery use screen screens shows the following:
Cell standby 47%
Phone idle 45%
Display 9%

No recent changes of any kind have been made to the phone (no upgrades or new apps have been installed). The o2 network has been fine in my area as far as i can tell.

The thing that stands out the most is if i turn on Flight mode, the phone stops overheating (going from 45 degrees to 25 degrees within a few minutes) and starts overheating again when it's turned off, suggesting that it's one of the features that can be disabled by flight mode. however, i don't know how to modify or fix these.

Have also done a hard reset, removing and reseating the SIM card in the process, but this has had no effect. I've also restored it to factory default but even this doesn't sort it. The issue has been occurring for two weeks now.

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems you have done what you can at your end.

If no outstanding software update is required then you would have to speak to the manufacturer through their uk website although warranty would have run out by now ,and or claim on any insurance from household or bank account versions to have it replaced.
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or O2 insurance if you have it.
Message 3 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23045 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Three years is a long time in smart phone years. I think your phone has reached its sell-by date. Your present phone is way out of date in Android OS terms. You can pick up a Moto G on Amazon sim free or something similar for a very reasonable price. You definitely need an upgrade. Whatever you choose will have much more capacity and performance than you have now, and the option to have 4G as well, which you can't have with your current phone even if you could repair it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

It certainly sounds like it's come to the end of it's life. Time to treat yourself wink

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The advice above is worth following.
The phone sounds like it has expired and the cost of repair would far outweigh it's value.
It's the modem that's playing up and as you've tried everything possible I think it's time to admit defeat and replace.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's worth mentioning that some online companies buy non working models. Not for vast amounts but that could go towards your next phone if you decide not to have it replaced under any insurance you may have + any excess fee to pay.
Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
£3 from Mazuma !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wouldn't you agree jonsie that something is better than nothing tho. slight_smile
Message 10 of 15