cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPRS WAP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently my phone  can be GPRS WAP enabled. 1. What is that? and 2. I'm assuming its something to do with interent access if so as I'm not in a 3G area will it count towards my data usage?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

GPRS is a very old data connection protocol that has been superseded now by 3G/4G services.
It ran very slowly on the old 2G networks and yes, it will count towards your data usage or incur data costs for you.

A good explanation here http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-gprs-and-wap/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

GPRS is a very old data connection protocol that has been superseded now by 3G/4G services.
It ran very slowly on the old 2G networks and yes, it will count towards your data usage or incur data costs for you.

A good explanation here http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-gprs-and-wap/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah right, thank you.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Which phone are you using.

Phones are set up to search for the strongest connection available where you are, unless for example the owner toggles off 4G or 3G so the phone only searches for that type of speed.
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
At a guess it will be something pre 2003.....?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
In years gone by gprs wap was also accessed via a dial up service so the cost of service would have been taken from your inclusive minutes first.

However as @MI5 has said, gprs wap is vet outdated technology. Indeed o2 now state that 2g (gprs) is suitable for calls texts and email. (Anything else is a bonus)
Message 6 of 6