cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver probems/PC Companion Problems Sony Z1

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am tearing my hair out trying to work out why my PC has stopped recognising my Xperia z1!! The computer recognises I have plugged it in but when it suggests I launch PC companion, which I then do, the PC Companion does not recognise a phone is detected. 

I have tried installing new drivers but it says they are up to date, I have tried reinstalling PC companion, I have tried Sony support but what they are suggesting (uninstalling and installing new drivers) is not working, I don't seem to be able to even get that far. My computer detects the phone is plugged in but that is as far as things go, it just shows with the little triangle and the exclamation mark. 

The phone was charging of my PC at work today so with hindsight the phone is not the problem. I therefore have been highly stupid by following someone's advice on another page by using the Sony update service to try and debug problems with the phone. Needless to say I have lost a lot from the phone and right now cannot even get it to psync with my latest back up two months ago. 

I never thought I would miss apple quite so much!! Give me icloud any day! 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I certainly feel your frustration.

Connecting your phone to your work PC shouldn't cause any issue. I do this regularly at work with my iPhone 5s and iTunes still recognises it fine.

I assume you've gone through all your phones settings and PC firewall settings etc to ensure nothing has been changed which may be creating the block between them two.

Possibly think about performing a restore on your PC to take it back a few weeks. This is an avenue to explore.

Take a look at this trouble shooting guide.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/USB-connection-problems-on-Z1-with-WIndows-7-Sony-VAIO/t...

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I certainly feel your frustration.

Connecting your phone to your work PC shouldn't cause any issue. I do this regularly at work with my iPhone 5s and iTunes still recognises it fine.

I assume you've gone through all your phones settings and PC firewall settings etc to ensure nothing has been changed which may be creating the block between them two.

Possibly think about performing a restore on your PC to take it back a few weeks. This is an avenue to explore.

Take a look at this trouble shooting guide.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/USB-connection-problems-on-Z1-with-WIndows-7-Sony-VAIO/t...

Good luck.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that Band of Brothers.

I think my PC is the problem now as phone working fine on work Pc. I wish I had used logic last night rather than panicking and losing data but oh well!!

Seems my HS usb's are failing whatever they are. Also my restore points all seem to be gone which is strange. I will need to get myself on some PC support forums.

Thnaks again

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome

If your missing restore points them it is in your interest to resolve that too. These are also found in your settings. If you perform a google search their are lots of YouTube tutorials and walkthroughs to show you how.

Some Netbooks require the setting up of this feature.

Take care.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Run a virus scan asap. Restore points are the first thing that some viruses attack.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
My laptop no longer let's me sync my phone through the PC Companion. I am sure it worked a few weeks ago, but when I plugged it in last week it kept trying to find the phone. I tried the Sony Support programme and that recognised my phone. I would assume an issue with the software rather than phone!
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programme on your PC? Sometimes files or drivers can become corrupted.

Try a different USB lead if possible.

Check your phone settings : Settings > Xperia™ Connectivity > USB Connectivity > USB connection mode. Tap Mass storage mode (MSC) > OK

Message 7 of 7