cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does picture message use mobile data ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I my daughter got me a Samsung Flame for Christmas, I don't really have much idea how to use it or what the tech stuff means.  So I was shocked to find on my recent bill that I have been charged for mobile data when I haven't downloaded anything or used the internet.  I have since switched off the mobile data but I can no longer send picture messages.  Do I have to use mobile data to send picture message ? My old Nokia didn't charge me any extra to send a picture message so why does this phone.  I don't have any data allowance on my Simplicity sim only tariff & don't really wont to add any as I only want to use the phone for calls, text & picture message.  Any help & advice would be most appreciated.

Thank You

Fiona

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your Samsung Flamec will use data for many of its systems apps as well as accessing email if you choose to do so (or Facebook of course).

Re your old Nokia. It isn't the phone that charges for mms it is your tariff. There were some old tariffs that included mms as part of the allowance but I am not aware of any network that does.

O2 does offer a bolt on of 50 mms for £5 per month I believe but you will still need data access. Best to buy the £3 100mb bolt on.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

You have to have data on to send picture messages and you will be charged for MMS as well. If you want to go online you will need to get a data allowance and also purchase an MMS allowance if you want to send picture messages.

If you don't want to purchase a data bolt-on, make sure your setting for mobile data is switched off in settings and that you have also set your apps to update over WiFi only. Otherwise your apps will update using data and you will be charged.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your Samsung Flamec will use data for many of its systems apps as well as accessing email if you choose to do so (or Facebook of course).

Re your old Nokia. It isn't the phone that charges for mms it is your tariff. There were some old tariffs that included mms as part of the allowance but I am not aware of any network that does.

O2 does offer a bolt on of 50 mms for £5 per month I believe but you will still need data access. Best to buy the £3 100mb bolt on.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are better cheaper ways of sending pictures.

Sending mms is not taken from your tariff allowance and are charged for at 35p for contract users and 25p on payg.

It does not use data but as said data needs to be turned on so if you don't have a data allowance O2 would charge you £1 for the web daily.

E mail.
What's app
Snapchat
Viber
Bbm
iMessage

To name a few.
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good shout BoB.

You would need your phone to access wifi for these services and in some cases the recipient would also need to have the same app I.e. whatsapp.
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many kind thanks for your helpful reply. I think 02 were charging me the £1 per day when I had the mobile data switched on. I know picture messages are charged outside of your tariff but I didn't realise that I was also be charged when a long text changes to a MMS. So it looks like a change in tariff or a data bolt on would be good for me.

Thank You So Much For Your Reply
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are more than welcome. Please do come back and let us know how you got on.
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please also note that if you are on a contract as opposed to payg then mms costs are increasing to 40p in March.
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You so very much for your helpful reply. I wasn't aware that I was also being charged when sending a long text, the phone switched to MMS which I now know is not included in my tariff. It looks like I may need to add a data bolt on or change tariff.

Thank You For Your Help & Advice

Fiona
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

wink
Message 10 of 15