cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distorted battery in my samsung s4 mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone has started switching itself off when it gets to around 20%, and can then only be turned back on with the charger connected. My battery has now become like a pillow and pushed the outer edge of my phone outwards. Only had phone in July of last year. Does anyone else have this problem with their s4 mobile? And what do i need to do? Very very scared as it could of caught fire. Thanks Zoe

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
As every one is guessing about Samsung's policy I will give you the facts in timeline.
When the problem first started, Samsung were unsure of the problem so all handsets had to be returned.
Once they had established the root cause of the problem they went through a phase of sending out replacement batteries to owners which fixed 90% of the problems, however, on some phones it was found that the battery had also damaged some other components so to be on the safe side they started asking for all phones to be returned for a full inspection.
The result of this was that very few phones had suffered additional damage so to save money they went back again to just sending out replacement batteries.
Customers now have the choice. If you call Samsung service and explain the problem, if it is confirmed that the battery is in the range specified for faulty ones, they will ask if you want to return the entire phone for a check up or just send you a battery.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Welcome to the forum. You need to get that battery changed as soon as possible. (Bulging battery is quite common) Having said, that it will continue to ruin the workability of your phone and we always recommend changing immediately.

You must make sure the new battery is a genuine Samsung approved one. You can purchase these from Amazon. Please do not go for a cheap option...they can be quite dangerous...Best of luck wink

Edited to add Mobile Fun are an authorised Samsung dealer.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Galaxy-S4-Batteries.htm?referer=G&gclid=CNGk9trJu8QCFcjHtAodDhwAKw

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi cleoriff thanks for reply. Have turned phone off in case it catches fire and now quite scared of using it. Why should I have to buy a new battery, it's not my fault I've used the original samsung battery that came with it? Beginning to think samsung pile of rubbish. I want this sorting properly by o2/samsung not a happy bunny

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the Community.

There is no need to purchase a battery as Samsung give a 2 year warranty. Where did you get your phone from?

02 - call o2 and they will arrange to collect your phone, it will go to o2 repairs and a new battery provided. NOTE They WILL flash your phone software so back it up.

2. Preferred option would be to phone Samsung Repair Centre. You can then either take it to one of their repair centres (usually found at some CPW stores) or they can collect. If it does go to CPW you can ask them to add a comment NOT to flash.

I have 2 S4 handsets and have now had 3 replacement batteries. It does mean you will be without a handset for up to a couple of weeks though as they won't Jay send you a battery anymore. Samsung want to check if there has been any damage to your phone (which would also be fixed at this time as you are under warranty).
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Re your comment about O2 / Samsung sorting this out? You are correct. And as it is under warranty then they will. Personally I would prefer to contact Samsung directly as o2 Repairs have a poor reputation and WILL flash the software regardless.

The issue came about and was widely reported last year as Samsung had a batch of batteries that came from a supplier in China that proved to be faulty. These things happen and they did, to their credit, issue a recall but clearly you did not see it.

Either way you are covered under warranty but you will have to send the handset away. Please please do back up.
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks piperdog123 still feels like I'm being fobbed off lol. I'm going back to Nokia next time
Message 6 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi cleoriff thanks for reply. Have turned phone off in case it catches fire and now quite scared of using it. Why should I have to buy a new battery, it's not my fault I've used the original samsung battery that came with it? Beginning to think samsung pile of rubbish. I want this sorting properly by o2/samsung not a happy bunny

You are quite correct. I  failed to read the post correctly about the length of time you had the phone. in fact the same thing happened to a family member when he had the S4 mini for 6 months. Samsung replaced the battery free of charge as it was under warranty .....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks piperdog123 still feels like I'm being fobbed off lol. I'm going back to Nokia next time

Please dont give up on Samsung....you are just unfortunate this one had a fault....get it sorted and you wont look back...or even consider going back to another type of phone Smiley Very Happy

Edit. as Piperdog says try to get the phone back to Samsung...not via O2 repairers who have a poor reputation

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
How are you being fobbed off @ZoeStockdale?

Your phone is covered under warranty. If you let me know where you got it from I will give you a line by line guide to having your battery replaced?

I don't see how you ate being fobbed off as we are confirming you are covered under warranty, who to contact to get a new battery and what you need to do to achieve to get this sorted along with some helpful tips on backing up to avoid losing any data on your phone.
Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
With technology from time to time things go wrong. In this case Samsung became aware of an issue and issued a recall. Had you returned your battery last year all you had to do was top go into CPW as they are an authorised repair centre and they would have ordered you a battery and a couple of weeks later you would have gone back to collect it.

Since then Samsung have had other users report issues with the S4 after the bulge and now call the phones back in to check them over fully.

Whilst it is an inconvenience, I consider that good customer service. Issue a recall, replace battery foc and give the handset a full mot for free as well.

Apple, HTC, Samsung, Nokia especially too and also Blackberry have all had issues in the last couple of years resulting in recalls for different reasons
Message 10 of 26