Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data locked when switching from 4g back to 3g

rob1982
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently purchased a new HTC One M9 from Carphone Warehouse on O2.

Fairly happy apart from patchy signal by my house despite O2 coverage checker showing full 3G and even small pockets of 4G.

My main issue is that for some reason when I go from a 4G connection back to 3G despite the phone showing a decent signal nothing that requires a data connection will work.

To resolve this I simply have to go in to airplane mode and back out again.

This is not ideal as I commute a fair distance on a daily occurance so this has to be done multiple times throughout the day.

I'm not convinced this is an O2 issue though as I had the same issue with my initial purchase of the M9 through Vodafone, due to terrible signal everywhere I went.I took that phone back and replaced it with one on O2.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a more permanent solution?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Does turning 4G off help?

Have you checked for signal problems in your area?

http://status.o2.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 18

rob1982
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just checked on O2 status and it does report that there have been works carried out on the masts near my post code in the last 24 hours but says the network is currently working fine, this may explain why the signal has been a bit patchy.

As for the "data locking" I've been experiencing, I have not tried turning off the 4G connection, I will try doing that and comment after my commute home today.

Thanks

Message 3 of 18

rob1982
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well I turned 4g off ready for my train journey home.

Turns out it had an improvement, the only time I lost connection is where it was expected and I had no signal whatsoever or dropped to 2g (pretty much the same thing).

Signal is still poor by my house so I think the network status check might have lied about everything running smoothly.

Not sure what to do about my 4g though as I want to get it turned back on for obvious reasons.
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144202 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
I used to get this occasionally on Kit Kat but I've not experienced it on Lollipop, however, it's most likely a bug in the phones modem software.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

rob1982
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your input.

It would be a bit of a concern for M9 owners if the problem is with the modem software as I have had x2 M9s now with the same issue which could suggest a build issue.

Would be interesting to know if this happens on rooted phones or even international variants.

Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 is the one to answer this query @rob1982

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 144202 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Rooting a device would not change the modem so unless a different modem was flashed the issue would still be present.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 18

rob1982
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Basically I'm not getting rid of this problem am I?

Message 10 of 18