Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges in flight mode

Mint1955
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I turn data roaming of and flight mode on when I travel to north cyprus. I then put the phone into wifi and that's all I use so that I can access tu go etc. Half way through holiday I am charged £5.16 data on a day I was climbing up a mountain. Checked phone and flight mode is still on how does that happen
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's clearly an error.
Flight mode disables all radio so even with WiFi on you wouldn't connect to mobile data.
Monitor your account and make notes of your location and phones state for the rest of your holiday to use as basis of an enquiry with CS when you get back home.
CS will also tell you which days and the amount of data that was used (it might jog your memory regarding any possible legitimate use of data).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

We recommend that a person turns off Mobile Data in the phones settings which cuts off all ties to the Mobile Network.

Flight mode / Airplane Mode should have worked. But when you turn this off to use Wifi it sounds like your phone has flicked to hook into the strongest signal available.

On iPhones as an example it will switch from to wifi back to 3G etc as a battery saving feature when the screen goes to sleep.
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi

If you need a breakdown a of data charges you may have to ring O2 customer services.

Southern Cyprus is classed as EU but North Cyprus is classed as non EU and therefore charges much more for any calls, texts and data....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's clearly an error.
Flight mode disables all radio so even with WiFi on you wouldn't connect to mobile data.
Monitor your account and make notes of your location and phones state for the rest of your holiday to use as basis of an enquiry with CS when you get back home.
CS will also tell you which days and the amount of data that was used (it might jog your memory regarding any possible legitimate use of data).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Shouldn't flight mode disable all radio  including Wifi and bluetooth? so turning wifi on may inadvertantly re-enable all the other radios.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Flight mode will disable everything, but allows you to turn on wifi and bt individually.
You cannot enable data with flight mode on.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Well it's either an error with O2's system (unlikely) or there's been some sort of changeover period when enabling flight mode.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yeah, that's why I said to find out date and time etc of supposed data transfer as it might have been the day of travel.....?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8