cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking actual data use

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 500mb data allowance per month. I have just had a text from O2 saying that I have used over 80% of my allowence. I haven't used the internet any more than I usually do and I normally have 300+ mb's left each month. Is it possible to check how long I spent online to see where things have gone wrong???

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

If you are pay monthly you can check which dates your data was used. Also have a look in the settings under data usage and you should see which apps are using the most. You could also download Onavo to monitor daily usage. Facebook with it's auto video play could be the culprit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en_GB

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Their are apps you can download to monitor data usage and some phones have built in monitors too.
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

If you are pay monthly you can check which dates your data was used. Also have a look in the settings under data usage and you should see which apps are using the most. You could also download Onavo to monitor daily usage. Facebook with it's auto video play could be the culprit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en_GB

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to the advice from @jonsie -  if you are using Android 4.4.2 there is a setting where you can set a Data Usage Limit that will disable your mobile data connection when that limit is reached.  I do not know if that feature is available on earlier versions of Android.

Gerry

Message 4 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I believe once your limit is up now, o2 won't let you connect unless you give permission via text for additional data bundle.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I looked at Onavo / Onavo Extend until I noted it was owned by FaceBook 😞
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144351 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Android has a data usage app built in and has since day one.
Facebook video autoplay seems to be the culprit for many people since they introduced that really useful feature !!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144351 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
So you did - must be true then slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions