cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a dual sim phone be unlocked?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently bought a BQ dual sim phone from O2 to replace a free dual sim phone which got broken. The phone is lovely and would like to keep it. I have been with O2 for more than 15 years, and I am happy to continue with them. When I chose it , I was under the impression that I would be able to unlock one of the sims so I can use my Spanish sim when I go abroad, but it looks like I can't. I must wait for 12 months so I can unlock the whole thing. THis is rather inconvenient, I don't want to unlock both, just one. Has anybody got the same problem? I feel so stupid, I trusted the O2 gurus who recommended this phone.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Do not be tempted to use dodgy means to unlock it.
If you can borrow an o2 contract sim you can put that into the phone and still get the free immediate unlock.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Are you certain the phone is locked? Who told you that you couldn't use a different network sim in your phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 21

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Is this bought on P&G? Their terms are quite open that the phone has to be on the network for 12 months before unlocking. If you have a monthly sim in the phone I don't see why they would refuse to unlock it if you use the correct IMEI number.

Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am on Pay and Go. As I said, i am happy to be locked to O2 with when I am in the UK, which is most of the time, but I would like to be able to unlock the other sim so I can use when I go to Spain with my Spanish sim for local calls when I am on holiday. 

Message 4 of 21

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The process for unlocking is here and it will work for any phone but PAYG must be on the network for 12 months (except iPhones)
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Message 6 of 21

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous How long ago did you get the phone? If you are within the 14 day change your mind period, return the phone and buy one sim free. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over 14 days. Too late. Still, the phone is lovely, just what I wanted, but with that little inconvenience. I will have to borrow an old phone from a friend when I'm aborad. 

I know I was naive, but I still think that O2 should warn buyers of dual sim phones that the 12 month period applies to both sims. 

Thank you guys!

Message 8 of 21

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
That's odd. I already have my unlock code for my S7 but I don't think I actually need it.

Have you tried one of them high street stalls that offer to unlock phones? I've never had to use them before so I have no idea if they are good or not. Worth a mention I thought?
Message 9 of 21

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@xxscrappyxx Is your phone Pay & Go? Using a High Street store to unlock a phone would void the warranty. I doubt the OP would want to do that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 21