cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I switch off mms messages on Samsung galaxy ace

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter has a samsung galaxy ace and she keeps being charged for sending mms messages when she isn't aware that they are as there is no picture. Is there any way I can switch off the mms so she is unable to accidentally send them?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Any android phone will convert long SMS (over 160 characters) into an MMS by default. The solution is to only send less that 160 characters in one message or download "Handcent" off Google play which allows you to override the default and sends long texts as multiple text messages rather than one MMS message.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had two normal text message sent as MMS and was charged for them. O2 online advisors have no idea, and offered a refund. But I wanted to know how to avoid this happening again.

Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Any android phone will convert long SMS (over 160 characters) into an MMS by default. The solution is to only send less that 160 characters in one message or download "Handcent" off Google play which allows you to override the default and sends long texts as multiple text messages rather than one MMS message.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also switching off mobile data prevents mms being sent or received.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Also switching off mobile data prevents mms being sent or received.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

Along with every other phone function that requires data wink

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

This I know.  I have a kid with an older galaxy model and only allow him to use data on wifi for this reason and the fact that all the apps he usesdemolish his credit otherwise.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. We had already switched off the Internet as she was being charged for internet even when using wi-fi! I think it must be that the texts are too long as one of the answers said.

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I think this must be the problem. 02 didn't mention it when I rang customer services, they kept insisting that she must have sent a picture and insinuating that she was not telling the truth! Not very helpful!

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Unfortunately CS just read off scripts, without any working knowledge of the phone in question,;)

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, this is just my two pennies contribution to this post. I too had this problem and noticed that the standard SMS app on the phone would always change to MMS when I had reached 3 sms messages, I downloaded Handcent as suggested and didn't really like it. I then tried "Go SMS Pro" also free from Google Play store. And personally think that is far better than Handcent..

Just my opinion but worth a try slight_smile

Hope that helps. 

Message 10 of 14