cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for data usage despite only (knowingly) using Wi-Fi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had some trouble with this for quite some time, I've been using a SonyEricsson Xperia U ST25i and despite having 'Data Roming' disabled and the 'Data enabled' option not enabled. I'm being charged for data usage despite only even (knowingly) connecting to Wi-Fi (my phone is usually not connected to the internet, and when it is, it's connected to a household Wi-Fi).

I've read a lot about this in other forums, so I know that O2 isn't scamming me so I'm wondering, what setting have I missed?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Find the data apn and remove it completely from the phone. This won't effect wifi but it will stop a connection to o2's data servers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Find the data apn and remove it completely from the phone. This won't effect wifi but it will stop a connection to o2's data servers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow @MI5 advice or alternatively, call customer services and request a GPRS data bar. This will also prevent data use on your handset but will still be able to use WiFi

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, hopefully that's fixed it.
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It should do, but let us know either way slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is great and quick advice @redtitbit and @MI5!

Message 6 of 6