Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 Update - S3, S4, S4 Mini & Note II

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi All,

Many of you have been asking about the much anticipated Android 4.3 update for several key Samsung devices – Including the S3, S4, S4 Mini & Note II. As with all updates we have an in-depth and rigorous testing procedure to ensure the update is seamless and provides a perfect user experience.

What are some key updates in Android 4.3?

-              Lower latency input for gamepad buttons and joysticks

-              Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 support - display song names on a car stereo

-              OpenGL ES 3.0 - Android now supports the latest version of the industry standard for high performance graphics

-              Official support for the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch > http://accessoryshop.o2.co.uk/search?query=galaxy+gear

How do I get this Android 4.3 update?

Sometimes these updates are available via Samsung KIES before they are available OTA (over the air). To update via KIES, please visit this Samsung link which contains a download button to get the KIES desktop software as well as simple steps on how to install and update > http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/SWUP/JSP

Once the update arrives OTA, you can download this by going to Settings > General > About > Software Update > Update. This may differ very slightly depending on your device or software build.

Android 4.3 availability break-down

Galaxy S4 – The 4.3 update is now live via the Samsung KIES PC application. Connect your phone via USB, open KIES and check for updates. The S4 OTA update is also live and will be pushed out in batches from the date it went live on KIES - If you don't have the OTA update yet, consider updating via KIES instead.

Galaxy S4 Mini – The latest 4.2.2 update has been available via Samsung KIES since November 30th and should be available to all O2 handsets by connecting and updating via KIES. The OTA update will be released in batches over the coming weeks. Though this particular update doesn’t include the same changes as the above 4.3 update, it does bring with it official support for the Galaxy Gear Smartwatch. Android 4.3 may come to this device in the future, but we currently have no further details on this. We’ll let you know if/when that changes, however.

Galaxy S3 – We have received this update from Samsung and after our rigorous testing, has been approved and passed to Samsung for release. We hope for this to begin pushing out to O2 handsets over the coming week or two (hopefully before the end of the month) so keep your eyes peeled on your update screen. We'll let you know if there are any unforeseeable issues or delays that crop up.

Note II – The 4.3 update for the Note II is now live for OTA updates. This will be roll out in batches over the next few weeks so this update may not be available to you immediately. If you have an O2 branded Note II and don't see this update, I'd recommend connecting manually to KIES and checking for updates this way.

Thank you for your patience in awaiting this update - we know some of you have been eagerly awaiting receiving it or further information around it.

Are you looking forward to the update? If you’ve already been able to update to 4.3 via KIES, what do you think? The biggest change with the 4.3 update is that it supports Samsung’s Galaxy Gear Smartwatch – Something only the Note 3 supported previously. Will this update make you think about trying out wearable technology anytime soon?

Edit Log:

2:22pm 18th Dec - Updated availability news for the Note II

3:52pm 19th Dec - Updated OTA availability for the S4

11:25am 21st Jan - Updated Galaxy S3 section

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 396
395 REPLIES 395

Anonymous
Not applicable

CS will give your your log in details if you can't remember them, either try live chat or call 0844 809 0222 quoting your original O2 number.

My Experience with Customer Support they could not help as the number was no longer registered. So you reply is wrong according to the customer support I spoke to only 2 days ago. They did not give me the log in details.

There are no instruction manuals for any phones that cover every detail as it would be 10x the size of war & peace.

You will find that on my Note 2 there is a manual built in (see apps list). It's not war and peace as you want it to be, but it's too basic being my point. Considering how much we pay for these phones is it too much to ask for a more descriptive manual. I'm not wining about all other phones. I just want a manual for my phone that is comprehensive. That's a dig a Samsung by the way. But in my opinion would help resolve a lot of user problems.

and the 2.4ghz wifi setting is in the advanced wifi menu and has nothing to do with 4G at all.

In my advanced menu there is no option for 2.4gz or 5ghz ! Do you actually own a Note 2 or are you just guessing. I'm now becoming Suspicious of your advice.

Finally, if you don't like O2's image just flash the Samsung International version and get a completely stock Samsung experience, although

The phone is in warranty why would i want to flash it with Samsung stock ?

Are you not aware that by doing that would invalidate any warranty I may have?

That's not good advice to anyone reading these forums. At the least point out that they would lose any warranty claims  by doing so.

non of the issues you mention will be fixed as they are not specific to O2 branded ROM's......

You say NONE of the issues will be fix?

I have been informed by customer support that this is the forum to give the feedback and the developers do pass by picking up on possible problems. (they say).

The only reason I'm on these forums is because customer support pointed me this way. Customer support could not help me with the log in details either. I clearly stated in my first post the phone i have, the firmware update i now have, giving feedback to O2. You have to visit the xda developers for a broader feedback of problems. And from the looking and digging i could not find anyone that is having the issues with ICMP socket being blocked. It's too broad the audience, 
over there with hundreds of custom roms etc.

If you don't like any of the answers above then let me suggest to you that you may want to get in touch with customer support on 4445 being an O2 customer. Then you may appreciate after paying £450+ for a phone you want answers to questions and ultimately get to help  and the problems  fixed.

I'm happy enough with 4.3 now, (or as happy as i can be).

At the least i hope the developers to look into the ICMP socket issue as it could be something that has been overlooked.

Summary

After speaking to customer support on the phone. (4445).

Advised to post problems on the community forums.
Found the  4.3 Firmware Topic dealing with Note 2 issues.

* Customer Services cannot give out login details to numbers that does not exist.
* There is a Instruction manual, just not comprehensive enough.
* My Note2 does not have 5ghz
* Advised to invalidate my warranty (Flashing the Rom to Samsung Stock).

* None of the above will be fixed because it's not specific to O2. (ICMP issue is/could be).

If we all buried our heads in the sand nothing would ever get fixed or evolve.

Message 51 of 396

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What happens now with any OTA / Kies updates etc? Do I always have to do manual updates now?

OTA or Kies will work as normal and updates will be directly from Samsung from now on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 396

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@jnote

Considering the fact that I am a software dev for Samsung, I think I know what I'm talking about and clearly, to anyone else, it's you that is making poor and inaccurate comments. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time with people who don't want help, nor am I wasting my time reading your factually incorrect drivel.
Good luck and goodbye slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 53 of 396

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

There are no instruction manuals for any phones that cover every detail as it would be 10x the size of war & peace.

You will find that on my Note 2 there is a manual built in (see apps list). It's not war and peace as you want it to be, but it's too basic being my point. Considering how much we pay for these phones is it too much to ask for a more descriptive manual. I'm not wining about all other phones. I just want a manual for my phone that is comprehensive. That's a dig a Samsung by the way. But in my opinion would help resolve a lot of user problems.

I've found a manual for the Note II that's 140 pages. Is that too small for you?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201209/20120927171759093/GT-N7100_UM_EU_Jellybean_Eng_R...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 54 of 396

RubyTT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still waiting for the 4.3 update.  Must say am getting a lil impatient as the other half has had his for about a week now. Looks like some good changes so am hoping O2 are going to be rolling it out v soon! 

Message 55 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi to everyone.

I've got a Galaxy Note 2 which is unlocked (I believe), bought second hand. My O2 SIM card worked fine in it first time.

It's currently running the following 4.1.2 version of android

AP:N7100XXDME6

CP:N7100XXDMF1

CSC:N7100OXXDMF1

The phone is currently telling there is an update of 698.33MB waiting to download. I guess it's Android 4.3, but does anyone know which CSC that is? Because it's unlocked I'm guessing it's not the O2 version of 4.3.

I understand there's a number of people who've had issues with the update, so I'm a bit reluctant to run it. Can the phone be put back to Android 4.1.2 if it doesn't work. If so where would I be able to download it.

Thanks to all the people who've provided their help on this forum (in particular MI5). Sorry if my questions sound a bit silly. I wish I was as confident with Android as I am with Windows.

Message 56 of 396

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The update won't change the CSC and yes, as you correctly assume, it is the unbranded version.
You shouldn't have any issues with this update as it is stable and as bug free as any but there is NO GOING BACK without an extreme amount of work due to the KNOX security features in the new kernel that comes with this update.

Currently using:
Message 57 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply.

Those words in capitals are a bit frightening.
Message 58 of 396

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It won't matter to 90% of users but anyone into Custom ROM's and flashing / rooting etc will have difficulties.

Currently using:
Message 59 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick note to say I've updated my Galaxy Note 2 to android 4.3. I also did a factory reset as well, as I've always done that after an OTA update.

Everything seems fine, but I'll let you know if the phone displays any odd behaviour.

Thanks for the assistance.

Message 60 of 396