Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 Update - S3, S4, S4 Mini & Note II

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi All,

Many of you have been asking about the much anticipated Android 4.3 update for several key Samsung devices – Including the S3, S4, S4 Mini & Note II. As with all updates we have an in-depth and rigorous testing procedure to ensure the update is seamless and provides a perfect user experience.

What are some key updates in Android 4.3?

-              Lower latency input for gamepad buttons and joysticks

-              Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 support - display song names on a car stereo

-              OpenGL ES 3.0 - Android now supports the latest version of the industry standard for high performance graphics

-              Official support for the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch > http://accessoryshop.o2.co.uk/search?query=galaxy+gear

How do I get this Android 4.3 update?

Sometimes these updates are available via Samsung KIES before they are available OTA (over the air). To update via KIES, please visit this Samsung link which contains a download button to get the KIES desktop software as well as simple steps on how to install and update > http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/SWUP/JSP

Once the update arrives OTA, you can download this by going to Settings > General > About > Software Update > Update. This may differ very slightly depending on your device or software build.

Android 4.3 availability break-down

Galaxy S4 – The 4.3 update is now live via the Samsung KIES PC application. Connect your phone via USB, open KIES and check for updates. The S4 OTA update is also live and will be pushed out in batches from the date it went live on KIES - If you don't have the OTA update yet, consider updating via KIES instead.

Galaxy S4 Mini – The latest 4.2.2 update has been available via Samsung KIES since November 30th and should be available to all O2 handsets by connecting and updating via KIES. The OTA update will be released in batches over the coming weeks. Though this particular update doesn’t include the same changes as the above 4.3 update, it does bring with it official support for the Galaxy Gear Smartwatch. Android 4.3 may come to this device in the future, but we currently have no further details on this. We’ll let you know if/when that changes, however.

Galaxy S3 – We have received this update from Samsung and after our rigorous testing, has been approved and passed to Samsung for release. We hope for this to begin pushing out to O2 handsets over the coming week or two (hopefully before the end of the month) so keep your eyes peeled on your update screen. We'll let you know if there are any unforeseeable issues or delays that crop up.

Note II – The 4.3 update for the Note II is now live for OTA updates. This will be roll out in batches over the next few weeks so this update may not be available to you immediately. If you have an O2 branded Note II and don't see this update, I'd recommend connecting manually to KIES and checking for updates this way.

Thank you for your patience in awaiting this update - we know some of you have been eagerly awaiting receiving it or further information around it.

Are you looking forward to the update? If you’ve already been able to update to 4.3 via KIES, what do you think? The biggest change with the 4.3 update is that it supports Samsung’s Galaxy Gear Smartwatch – Something only the Note 3 supported previously. Will this update make you think about trying out wearable technology anytime soon?

Edit Log:

2:22pm 18th Dec - Updated availability news for the Note II

3:52pm 19th Dec - Updated OTA availability for the S4

11:25am 21st Jan - Updated Galaxy S3 section

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 396
395 REPLIES 395

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Crai81g

That is normal. Samsung roll out updates in batches so as not to over load their network. Assuming both your S3's are either sim locked to o2 or both sim free (ie CPW or P4U stock most likely) then yours will follow.

Even if you got both handsets on the same day it is unlikely they will update at the same time.
Message 41 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable

OTA update.

Note 2 Jellybean 4.3 (Now)

Firmware = PDA:MK9 / PHONE:MJ9 / CSC:MK1 (O2U)

Wifi Disables connections that are not of high enough quality.

So at my house I have 3 access points and through the course of the day they all end up failed and I have to manually have to conect twice to make it stick.

You can not ping from the device anymore.

"ping:icmp open socket: Operator not permitted"

bit of a bummer when your a network administrator.

Battery Life

Has seemed to improved.

Wifi Is always On but i'm not convinced if the details are not recording it correctly.

As i have seen the "now connected too" message but when i check the battery status screen it shows no down time of the wifi.

IMCP is my beef with this update. (unable to ping). Its not just 1 app all the apps fail.

I keep reading that knox is for the US only so ive not installed that.

* I have performed a full Factory Reset once i discovered the above problems.

and they still exist after the Reset so its a bug with the O2 Firmware.

Is this the only place to report problems with Firmware updates as the O2 Support (Telephone) could only advise this community support.

* Next problem is that i use giff gaff so i can not post under my account as I bought the phone from 02 and its not a year old so thank you for the exclusion i'm now under my partners account so i can at least give som feed back.

Mark

Message 42 of 396

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

If you bought the phone from O2 with an O2 SIM you would have been given an account and a log in at the time. It doesn't matter what SIM you now use....
As for the wifi disconnect issue, I too have noticed a bug which seems to be on all 4.3 ROMs (not just O2's) whereby I have to turn off Auto frequency and just use 2.4ghz to maintain a repeatable, stable connection.

Also, you are wise to not enable KNOX although you will now have the KNOX kernel on the device, regardless of you enabling the features or not.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 43 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the phone from 02 and put a Giff Gaff Sim in it. 
I was able to buy the phone because i had an active pay as you go sim with o2.

Now i do not have a valid 02 number to retrieve any login details.

i first opened an simplicity account with o2 6yrs ago.

So I have a o2 phone in warranty with no where to give feedback or able to retrieve any old login details.

"I have to turn off Auto frequency and just use 2.4ghz"

I cant find that option but i would guess that is due tot he fact that im not 4G.

Thinking about the problems most people seem to talk about seem to be lack of fully understanding the meaning of some of the options available. Its 4.3 the manual with in the phone cant even give any more information. An uptodate comprehensive manual would surely help so many and more understanding.

I do like alot of the new features. 
But it does anger so many when things do not work as they used to.

As its 02's image i can only put the blame at the door of O2's door.

Customer support is not educated at all with how to give the feedback to the developers.

All i can do is give the feed back to this community.

I am learning to wait in future.

However an intrim update i would do but moving to kitkat im going to wait along time.

if it aint broke i'm staying put.

Thats my experience with O2 and the S2 and now the Note 2

mark

Message 44 of 396

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
CS will give your your log in details if you can't remember them, either try live chat or call 0844 809 0222 quoting your original O2 number.
There are no instruction manuals for any phones that cover every detail as it would be 10x the size of war & peace and the 2.4ghz wifi setting is in the advanced wifi menu and has nothing to do with 4G at all.
Finally, if you don't like O2's image just flash the Samsung International version and get a completely stock Samsung experience, although, non of the issues you mention will be fixed as they are not specific to O2 branded ROM's......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 as always, you are legend.
Message 46 of 396

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How's it working out for you now?

Currently using:
Message 47 of 396

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems to be a recurring theme wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 48 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have to agree Toby, MI5 has helped me on all sorts of things.
Message 49 of 396

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Follow my advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...

Followed your advice MI5 and have MK6 now on my S3. I haven't noticed too much difference from 4.1 in terms of battery life - no better, no worse from what I can tell. Obviously a few things have had updates, but nothing massive I've noticed. 

What happens now with any OTA / Kies updates etc? Do I always have to do manual updates now?

Message 50 of 396