cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean arrives next month for a wide range of Sony Xperia handsets

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Sony Mobile has just confirmed that it plans to update ten Xperia handsets to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean from December 2013 onwards. The handsets on the list includes the Xperia Z series (Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1 and Tablet Z) along with the Xperia SP. It also confirmed that a number of older handsets will also get Android 4.3 including the Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V.

A number of recent lower-end handsets have not made the list at all though, including the Xperia L, Xperia M and Xperia C. The Xperia L and Xperia M should be able to handle the upgrade, so maybe Sony has decided not to update these handsets given their positioning. This would be a shame though especially since they only launched within the last six months. The Xperia C has limited availability so we can understand if that was left off due to commercial reasons. We’ll keep you posted as the countdown to the Android 4.3 update commences. 

Source: 

@XperiaBlog

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it will be factory update, will that also matter on network? 6 months old phone should be replaced by Manufacture profit plan, so if there is no update for a phone it means get a new one Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi do you no when 4.3 is beeing released for xperia t seems to be taking its time ???

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Still not released by Sony for the UK. The first 4.3 release was pushed to the SP and pulled shortly afterwards due to them finding bugs.
4.3 seems to be causing a lot of problems - Samsung's was a disaster, and Sony and HTC have both released and pulled the update for some of their phones.
Sony have also stated that the SP will be next then the others will follow.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any more news on the 4.3 update?  I see that Sony have just announced "Sony Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z to get Android 4.4 next month" ie, in May, according to an item at the Android community and elsewhere.  Will this be instead of 4.3?

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I've not heard anything about missing out the 4.3 update although it wouldn't surprise me knowing how much trouble it has caused on some of the devices Sony rolled it out to.....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased my Xperia Z tablet WiFi from an O2 shop.  Am I caught in some hiatus between a 3G tablet and the WiFi only version, as far as updates are concerned?  My Xperia Z contract handset has updated without any problems. Perhaps I should pay my local O2 shop another visit ....Evil

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If you have any o2 branding on it you will be waiting for o2....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's bad news indeed.  Whilst I am an O2 (business) customer and understand their need to thoroughly test upgrades for contract devices, I don't understand why they need to mess around with a non-networked tablet, especially as I purchased the tablet outright and not through my business. 

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Sony Mobile has just confirmed that it plans to update ten Xperia handsets to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean from December 2013 onwards. The handsets on the list includes the Xperia Z series (Z, ZL, ZR, Z Ultra, Z1 and Tablet Z) along with the Xperia SP. It also confirmed that a number of older handsets will also get Android 4.3 including the Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V.

A number of recent lower-end handsets have not made the list at all though, including the Xperia L, Xperia M and Xperia C. The Xperia L and Xperia M should be able to handle the upgrade, so maybe Sony has decided not to update these handsets given their positioning. This would be a shame though especially since they only launched within the last six months. The Xperia C has limited availability so we can understand if that was left off due to commercial reasons. We’ll keep you posted as the countdown to the Android 4.3 update commences. 

Source: 

@XperiaBlog

So Sony have now announced the release of Android 4.4 KitKat for Sony Experia Z Tablet and phone.

I have received it on my phone but not on my tablet, where I am STILL awaiting 4.3 Jelly Bean.  Any idea what's causing the 5 month holdup?

Message 10 of 11