Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abandon landline

Philde
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With the current trend for BTOR to increase landline charges way above inflation/value, I am cosidering abandoning my landline and useing 4G mobile broadband at home. I can get 4G at reasonable speed and wonder what options there are, tethering to my smartphone, dongle, other mobile device? What are the best options, I understand that O2 dongles are limited to 10GB per month and I would perfer to leave my smartphone separate, has anyone tried other options. I guess I am looking for around 32GB per month and a device with an external aerial would be usefull.

Any comments?

Regards Phil...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
have you seen the offers from plusnet and talk talk where you get a year free broadband if you take their landline? not sure of availability in location but certainly an option...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I too would suggest TalkTalk or sky have a similar offer.

However yes, I did this a while back when my bb was faulty. You get mifi dongles that push out a WiFi signal in your home and tethers upto 5 devices at one time. They might even have better units available now. You can also tether from your mobile etc too. What you looking to do, steam out general browsing?
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Mobile data is not, as yet, a viable alternative to BB.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Physically or financially........both ?

Speed isn't a problem, download/upload GB limit doesn't seem to be a problem, cost around £30pm (less than a landline calls+rental package) not too bad.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Physically or financially........both ?

Speed isn't a problem, download/upload GB limit doesn't seem to be a problem, cost around £30pm (less than a landline calls+rental package) not too bad.

Congratulations, you passed the test.

@Philde what price can you get your 32gb a month of mobile 4g data for?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

And I didn't even take into account the broadband package saving so a BT Fibre+phone cost could be in excess of £55pm

Edit : current BT non-offer prices for the top whack up to 76Mb Infinity (comparable to a good 4G signal) with phone line and Anytime calls = £56pm, there also a once-off £49 activation fee.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/phone-packages

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 8

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions